Thursday 10 September 2009

Musicians hit out at Gov plans for file sharers #digitalbritain

One of the more significant factors driving traffic growth on the Internet today is file sharing. I've done it myself, although not to a great extent and I know of many others who also use it. That said I could not quite make up my mind about this whole file sharing debate until I read this article. Yes I thought the measures proposed were utterly draconian but I could not make up my mind whether something should be done.

You see I felt that through file sharing the musicians were losing out. I didn't care so much about the record companies but did not want those who are actually making the music to suffer as a result of our actions. Turns out I was wrong! Naturally I had never actually spoken to a musician to get their feedback so I am grateful to The Times for bridging that gap of ignorance for me!

If the artists themselves support file sharing, indeed encourage it (see the quote from Ed O'Brien) then the Government has no right to stop it.

Posted via web from Mark's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment