Sunday 11 October 2009

What Would You Use FTTH For

Imagine for a moment that you have that 100MBit/s second symmetrical connection to your home...

What are you using it for? What would you like to use it for?

Please drop some comments to this post - I am interested to see what is driving our interest for genuinely high speed connections. Be as specific or general as you like.

Here's my list as a starting point (in no particular order):

1. Home working
2. Home entertainment (interactive TV, PPV sports events, PPV concerts, gaming etc.)
3. Learning (so much better to see what you want to learn about rather than have to read it!)
4. Communications - integration of voice, video & data with the most common tools I use today (e.g. email, Office docs, social media etc.)
5. Cloud-based software services (e.g. salesforce.com), now being called SaaS (Software as a Service)!

WISH LIST
1. Healthcare - a service that offers me online diagnoses or brings remote care to those in far greater need than me
2. Genuine online entertainment services - new & old TV shows from around the world, live sports, concerts etc.
3. Far broader use of video for customer facing functions such as sales or customer services (e.g. Blue Peter model - here's one I made earlier, just follow my instructions)

9 comments:

  1. First thing that comes to mind is offsite backup of my photos/work files - uploading them all in one go would take way too long on my current connection.

    Don't you find it's hard to imagine what we'd do with apps we don't have yet? It's the old chicken/egg argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed completely but that just lands us in the Field of Dreams scenario - if we build it...

    Given the levels of investment (versus the alternative of continuing to wring the most we possibly can out of the copper) we need stronger proof of demand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will repeat what I said on my tweet.
    I want a decent connection which will allow me to do whatever I need to do. Whenever I want to do it. I don't care what speed it is as such, I just want it to work. I am happy to pay for data transfer in the same way I pay for water and electricity. To me broadband is a simple utility. The faster it is the faster I can get the job done. I believe the only way the UK is going to get that standard of service for everyone is by using fibre. If we keep any copper in the loop it will act as a bottleneck. It is obsolete. Time to move on.There is so much potential, more than any of us could dream of, but it ain't gonna come to digitalbritain unless we get NGA.
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running everything from the cloud - apps, documents, everything! I want whatever device I'm using to be a thin client that just connects to all my stuff knocking about in the cloud, and I want it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.ftthcouncil.eu/home/fibrespeed_tool/?cid=259
    found Lins tool which she uses to demo the difference between copper and fibre. It is well worth a look. If you try a DVD download, 4.7 gig of data (or 5 football matches)it takes 58 seconds, but with what passes for internet access in rural areas it takes days. Therefore nobody really knows the capabilities of a decent connection so they make do with what is available and dream of the future. Even with good urban connections it probably isn't worth waiting... we do need fibre, there is no doubt about it. Symmetrical powerful reliable and quick. For work, play and social networks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, great visual representation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Pournelle/Niven's "Oath Of Fealty" they had a bulldozer driver tele-operate a 'dozer on the Moon from his condo in a near-LA arcology. A Hekta-Mega (I'm using an older spelling of the prefix for 100) connection would allow a shut-in to take virtual tours in REAL TIME. Let's say a tour company has several cameras on each of their buses. The cheap camera is under the driver's control. For a surcharge there would be a couple of independent cameras which could be steered from afar. There might even be a zoom option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Multi-user interactive videoconferencing with HD quality viewing on my TV screen with work colleagues, families and friends as they are online - with no jitter or poor quality of service glitches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Pauline - off-site backup is to of my list. I've tried a couple of services and, even with my ADSL2+ from an exchange only 300m away (yay!), its too painful to consider backing up several gigabytes of photos, videos, and other such material etc.

    ReplyDelete